Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Skunked

In my limited trapping experience I have had some very interesting calls. The calls I hate more than anything to receive are the ones that go like this,

"Hey I have been smelling a skunk outside my house" or "I have a skunk in my window well. What can you do about it?"

Or just any calls relating to skunks in general.

You should know something about me. I HATE skunks. It doesn't matter what I do, the skunk will spray me. It doesn't matter what I wear, the awful, terrible, nose burning smell will seep into my skin. It doesn't matter how many skunks I will defeat, I will NEVER like them.

Every time I come home from a skunk job, even if I change my clothes and shower, my wife won't come near me. It penetrates into my seats in the car, into my shoes, and into my soul. Get the picture yet?

Lately, my buddy Eric and I (You will probably hear a lot about Eric in this blog) have had a job to get rid of racoons at a business out west. We have easily caught twice as many skunks as racoons. Good for business, bad for me. Each time we enter the premises and see that black and white fur, I groan.

Here are some things I have learned.

1. Skunks will spray no matter what you try.
2. When possible, stand upwind.
3. When possible, shoot from a great distance away (Now before you get all animal activist on me, this IS a trapping blog. In Utah, we are required to put certain animals down. I always do this in the most humane way possible, which in many situations is with a gun)
4. There really are no good tips. The skunk will spray and things will stink.

For all you wimps out there, you may consider wearing a body suit, respirator, and some thick gloves. Me personally, I have just come to terms with the fact that I am going to stink. 








No comments:

Post a Comment